Sunday, March 21, 2010

Kuala Lumpur, 18 March - 20 March

Rob has done such a great job writing our other posts that I thought he should continue writing the posts. He disagreed and so you are stuck with me. At least for our trip to Kuala Lompur.



This past week we visited Kuala Lumpur. KL(as its called by the locals) is on the mainland and about 3 hours south of Penang island where we live. It is the largest city and I believe the capital of Malaysia. We had alot of fun. We visited the Batu Caves(Hindu temple complex), spent friday at Sunway Lagoon(an amusement water park), visited the Petronas towers 2 of the tallest buildings in the world and the aquarium.

Here is a picture of us at the Batu Caves. The staute behind us is over 100 feet tall and there are over 200 stairs leading to the cave. They were alot of fun to climb in the heat of the afternoon. Next time I need to remember to NOT wear denim capris when we do things outdoors. The kids raced up the stairs with ease and didn't complain in order to earn the promised reward of ice cream for the none complainers.




Sorry if the pictures and the script don't always match up. I am trying to make the pictures go where I want them to and in the order I want, but am constantly being thwarted.






It was hot and muggy, but the view was amazing. It is really astonishing what beautiful things people have created. Inside the cave there are several niche shrines and then a large temple. There were monkeys(of course) and a snake handler. We got some fun pictures of that as well.


At the base of the stairs there were flocks of pigeons and then another cave complex(this one you paid for) to tour. There were large mural carvings with Hindu proverb type sayings in front. They also had explanations of the Hindu beliefs and deities. Overall it was a really neat experience and the kids had fun. I will post pictures on Facebook since it is easier to get them in the order I want!!


Our friends the Muilenbergs came down to KL with us and we had fun together.


One of the great things is to see how well Olea does on these adventures. At first she will cry because she doesn't know what is going on but once she is sure we are staying together she stays right with us and has a great time. The other kids are learning and enjoying seeing so many new and different things. Now if we could just get them to be better about trying new foods.







i will write about the rest of our trip on another post as I am ready to tear out my hair in frustration over trying to add pictures!!!!
Love Kirsten








2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm out of breath just looking at those stairs! Beautiful though. Looks like you guys are staying very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the photos are really amazing. You guys are so lucky to have so many great adventures as a family. It reminds me, in a way, of all the adventures Mom & Dad took us on as kids. Like going to the Redwoods, the Zoo, Pier 49, Chinatown, and so forth. You are making fun memories for the kids, which should be worth the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete